Mmmmm….brownies. Who doesn’t love them? 91% of people love these chocolately, cakey, often fudgy, melt-in-your-mouth squares of Heaven. There’s just something about brownies that make you feel like a kid without a worry in the world.
However, eating brownies isn’t a normal part of my family’s diet. We eat really healthy, with a few treats here and there. We eat gluten free foods about 95% of the time, mainly because we feel “cleaner” without gluten.
Many of you already know about the benefits to eating Gluten Free. Did you know that 1 in 133 people today do not have a choice in the matter? Those individuals have Celiac disease, which is an intolerance to gluten that can cause serious health issues. Other people eat gluten free to decrease inflammation, lose weight, and feel less bloated.
In addition to eating gluten free, many people are trying to eat dairy free. I often use coconut milk, almond milk, and coconut oil to replace dairy products when baking. The health benefits of coconut oil include: improved hair and skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, dental care, bone strength, and possibly delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
So, back to the brownies. I wanted to create a brownie that not only tastes good, but doesn’t have gluten so that my family can indulge in this deliciousness on a slightly more regular basis. Now please don’t stop reading if you’ve never tried eating gluten free foods. You won’t believe how good these brownies are. If you want to try something gluten free for the first time, TRY THESE BROWNIES!!!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Eva’s Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies
- 1 ½ cups of sugar (or use 3 teaspoons of liquid Stevia for a natural plant-based sugar substitute or use 1 1/2 cups of Coconut Sugar + 3 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey)
- ½ cup of coconut oil (adds great flavor, essential “good fats” and nutrients)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract (Tones and McCormick’s brands are gluten-free)
- ¾ cup Dutch-processed cocoa or Cacao Powder (raw cocoa powder)
- 3 large eggs (can use egg replacer if you have egg allergies. Or use Chia Seeds: To replace one large egg, soak 1 Tbs. chia seeds in 3 Tbs. water for 5 minutes until the mixture has the texture of a raw egg)
- **¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (Gluten Free Pantry rice flour, Bob’s Red Mill rice flour, coconut flour, or almond flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of gluten free chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
** Try substituting ½ cup of the gluten free flour with Shaklee 180 Protein Powder (gluten free) for 16 grams of protein, plus tons of additional nutrients. See, brownies can be healthy!
1.) Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray a nonstick square pan or 9” round pan with non-stick spray.
2.) Place the sugar of choice, coconut oil, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring with a heatproof spatula until the coconut oil melts (about 1 ½ min on high).
3.) After stirring the mixture well, blend in the vanilla and cocoa, then add the eggs and mix until shiny.
4.) Blend in the flour and the baking powder. Stir in the chocolate chips and/or nuts if using them.
5.) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges. **This is where my investment in an individual brownie pan has paid off.
6.) Bake the brownies for 33 – 38 minutes (or 22 minutes if using an individual brownie pan). Bake until the top is set and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. If a few crumbs or a tiny bit of chocolate are on the toothpick, then that should be fine.
7.) Cool the brownies for about 15-20 minutes before cutting them. Once they cool, cover them tightly with plastic.
8.) Enjoy with a tall glass of coconut milk, almond milk, or regular milk if you are not dairy free.
Check back or like my blog on Facebook (GetBZLiving) to read about other ways to live healthy every day!