Scones are one of the most comforting foods I can think of, especially for breakfast. If you’re eating gluten free, or just wanting to try gluten free eating, this Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scone recipe is a keeper. And, it couldn’t be more simple.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones
• 2 cups Bisquick® Gluten Free mix (replace ½ cup of Bisquick mix with Shaklee 180 Vanilla Protein Powder for 16 grams of extra protein to start your day off right!)
• 1 cup chocolate chips (6 oz) (if you are dairy free, use dairy free chocolate chips)
• 1 1/3 cups whipping cream (or coconut milk to make dairy free version)
• 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract (or vanilla extract if you’re worried about nut allergies. McCormick’s extracts are gluten-free)
• 1 cup gluten-free powdered sugar
• 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or water
• 3 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper.
2. In large bowl, mix Bisquick mix and chocolate chips. In a separate cup, mix whipping cream and 1/4 teaspoon of the almond extract. Stir into Bisquick mixture until soft dough forms, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons additional whipping cream if necessary.
3. Divide dough in half. On surface sprinkled with Bisquick mix, pat each half into a 6-inch round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Place wedges 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
4. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove parchment paper with scones to cooling rack.
5. Optional icing on scones: In small bowl, mix powdered sugar, remaining 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle half the icing over warm scones. Sprinkle with almonds. Drizzle with remaining icing. Serve warm.
My children love these scones. They taste even better the next day, if they last that long! This is great if you need to bake them a day ahead of time. They also make wonderful homemade gifts for any occasion. Just bake them, put them in a nice box or container, and deliver!