Wow, I LOVE Coconut Oil! If you haven’t tried it yet, I encourage you to go out and get some. It’s not only affordable, but it’s easy to find and it is completely natural.
Do you have dry skin? Got a frustrating paper cut? Did you eat too much fried food last night? Trying to lose weight and get fit? Well, try using coconut oil. There are numerous ways to use it, but here are eight reasons to give it a try:
1. Baking and Cooking Alternative: Use coconut oil in place of butter or shortening when baking to cut fat and calories. You can even melt 2 tbls of coconut oil, add herbs and spices to it, and pour it onto a whole chicken to be baked for dinner! And, no, it won’t taste like coconut flavored chicken 🙂
2. Fitness: Coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat, while increasing muscle. Because of this, coconut oil has become extremely popular by being the only natural low-calorie fat.
3. Digestion: The saturated fats in coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties that help control parasites and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome and acid reflux. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins (like Vitalizer vitamins), minerals and amino acids (like Leucine) making you healthier all around.
4. Preventive care: Coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. It can also help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida (thrush, athlete’s foot).
Lauric acid in coconut oil increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil can positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who ingest it also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar because coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Additionally, it helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
5. Stress Relief: Massage coconut oil on your forehead in a circular motion to relieve mental fatigue. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing which can lower your stress level. Just open a jar of coconut oil and breathe in deeply. You’ll feel like you’re on a tropical island!
6. Healing: When applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues. Plus, it smells a whole lot better than anything from the pharmacy.
7. Hair Care: Tired of paying too much for hair conditioners? Massage a bit of coconut oil onto your scalp to relieve dandruff. This oil provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair, and it’s used in a ton of over-the-counter hair products anyway. So, why not just use coconut oil and skip all the unnecessary chemicals?
8. Skin Care: Coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer for all skin types, especially dry skin and aging skin, leaving you refreshed and looking wide-awake. The fat in the oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles without any irritation. Coconut oil can also help with skin problems like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin conditions. In fact, the oil is frequently used in expensive skin care products.
Enjoy this easy and effective coconut oil and vanilla moisturizer recipe.
**Coconut Oil and Vanilla Moisturizer recipe
Scoop about 1 to 1.5 cups of coconut oil into a ceramic bowl. Stir it around a bit so it’s the same consistency. Add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of vanilla extract (or scraping the insides of a vanilla bean). Mix until it’s all one beautiful, golden color. Scoop the mixture into a mason jar (wide mouth and shallow will be easier to scoop out with your hands). Place the jar in a cool spot (or the fridge) over night. It will be ready to use the next morning!