Happy Friday everyone!
I hope you are gearing up for a fantastic weekend! I know my family will be on the go with swim meets, boating, church, and other fun summer activities.
When we have busy weeks or weekends like this, it is very important that my family continues to eat a whole foods diet consisting of clean lean protein, fruits, vegetables, gluten-free snacks, all natural and non-toxic supplements, and purified and lead-free water. Eating this way not only gives us sustained energy all day, but it keeps our immune systems strong when we are out and about in different environments.
Here is a list of a week’s worth of whole foods (as seen in the photo above) and what I plan to use them for:
Organic Blue Corn Chips. To be used with fresh homemade cucumber salsa.
- Cucumbers, Orange Glory Grape Tomatoes, Red Onion, Limes. Used to make cucumber salsa that includes the following: 3 seeded and diced cucumbers, 1 pound of diced and seeded orange grape tomatoes, 1/4 of a large red onion, 1 finely diced jalopeno (seeds removed), 2 diced avocados, Juice of 2 limes, 1-2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar + 1-2 tablespoons of honey, 1-2 teaspoons of black pepper, and a few pinches of salt to taste. Fresh diced red pepper would be a nice addition to this salsa as well.
- Strawberries, Bananas, and Pineapple. Used in smoothies or as fresh fruit snacks or side dishes.
- Lemons. Used in purified water, over fresh fruit, or in green tea along with honey. Lemons are great for digestion. They can help alkalize your body. Inflammation flourishes in our bodies when we are more acidic and lemons help us to become for alkaline. Shaklee has a wonderful water purification system called Get Clean Water that also takes out lead: http://evarumble.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=89099.
- Almond Butter and Almond-Based Hazelnut Spread. We use almond butter in so many recipes: pancakes, almond butter fudge, as a dip for celery and carrots, and in homemade granola bars and cookies to name a few. To satisfy our sweet cravings, we use Justin’s All Natural Chocolate Hazelnut Butter that is low in sugar, but has all the flavor of a rich dessert spread. This can be enjoyed with gluten-free pretzels, almond flour cookies, as a topping on coconut milk ice cream, or just by the spoon!
- Plantains. Used to make Paleo bread by incorporating one plantain with 2 organic eggs, placed in a round spring form pan that has been greased with coconut oil, and baked at 350 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes. Plantains can also be used as a side dish or dessert by pan frying sliced plantains in coconut oil and honey or maple syrup until caramelized.
- Coconuts. Used to make homemade coconut butter to be used in place of butter. It can be eaten raw as a snack or used in granola or protein bars.
- Supplementation. I only trust Shaklee for our supplementation. Unfortunately, our foods today are not nutrient-rich like they were 30+ years ago. I am not willing to give my family supplements that contain preservatives and artificial ingredients.I know that Shaklee’s supplements like Vitalizer (incredible live-enzyme whole foods vitamins), Vivix (for cell health), B-Complex, and Nutraferon (to build immune health) give us the necessary nutrients that we need to stay healthy, active, and out of the doctors’ offices. Protein like Shaklee 180 Vanilla and Chocolate Smoothie Mixes give us clean, all natural, non-toxic protein, as well as vitamins and Leucine (key amino acid that helps to build lean muscle to keep our metabolism high and our energy strong). You can find these Shaklee products in the links below.
Shaklee Vitalizer, Vivix, Nutraferon, B-Complex, and Incredivites (our children’s daily multi-vitamins) can be found here: http://evarumble.myshaklee.com/us/en/category.php?main_cat=Nutrition&
Shaklee 180 Smoothie Mixes: http://evarumble.myshaklee.com/us/en/category.php?main_cat=WeightManagement
Take Care and Be Well!